Friends of Staverton School – Christmas Fair
on Saturday the 2nd of December at 11am until 14.30
There will be Christmas gifts such as painted flower pots, make up, candles, Christmas tree stands, sweets, pottery and various other stalls. Hot turkey rolls, hot dogs and mince pies will be available as well as mulled wine, Alcoholic and non alcoholic & Hot chocolate.
The rural Village of Staverton is a Civil Parish set on the Southwest edge of Northamptonshire. It is a Medieval Village developed around the Anglo Saxon Church half way along the road between the Shire towns of Warwick and Northampton. The road later came to be called the Port Road as the connection between the Portcullises of Warwick and Northampton Castles.
The name Staverton means “staved town” (from Middle English meaning ‘a vertical wooden post or plank in a building’). In the Doomsday Book of 1086, Staverton is mentioned as Stavertone.
Positioned on the edge of an escarpment the Village enjoys views Westward across the valley of the River Leam, which rises nearby and flows into the neighbouring County of Warwickshire. Both the Malvern and Shropshire hills are visible on fine days. The river Nene rises in the South of the Parish.
The average elevation of the Village is about 563 ft. (171 meters) above sea level and is recorded as one of the highest village’s in Northamptonshire. Staverton Clump to the East of the village, almost equals with Arbury Hill whose Northern slopes are within the Parish, as the highest points in the County at 738 ft. (225 meters) above sea level.
A wealth of historic Footpaths cross the Parish which include the Jurassic Way, a long distance footpath of 88 miles joining Banbury in Oxfordshire to Stamford in Lincolnshire, and the Three Rivers Ramble, a Circular Walk of 11 miles which encompass the sources of the rivers Leam, the Nene and the Cherwell. Three rivers that each rise off Arbury Hill, but which flow in completely different directions.